Get 2 free months of Skillshare to watch my class and other premium class offerings!
Lesson 1: Defining “Kick-Ass Blog Post” and Finding Topic Inspiration
Content Experts to Follow
- Orbit Media’s Blogger Survey: Orbit Media is an authority on content marketing/SEO, and their yearly blogger survey shares actionable insights to help you become a top blogger.
- Marcus Sheridan – “The Sales Lion”: How to use content to drive inbound leads.
- Neil Patel: Great use of examples and images to illustrate his concepts.
Client Topic Collaboration
- Copy my Trello board template.
Lesson 2: Researching Your Blog Topic
- Check domain authority using Moz’s Open Site Explorer (free)
Note Taking Tools
- Sorc’d: Easily tag sources based on subject
- Evernote: Leading note taking app
- Pinterest: Organize your favorite sources using a tool you probably already have
Lesson 3: Outlining Your Kick-Ass Blog Post
Here’s the same outline template I use for my client projects!
Lesson 4: Finding Legal to Use Images
Free Stock Photos
Paid Stock Photos
Subscribe to AppSumo to grab lifetime access to many of the tools mentioned in my class.
Lesson 5: Using a Style Guide & Formatting for the Web
Here’s the general style guide I provide my contractors who help me prepare outlines. It doesn’t hurt to ask clients if they have one, too.
Lesson 6: The First Kick-Ass Draft
Using the Pomodoro Method: Tomato Timer
Lesson 7: Crash Course in Content SEO: Basics of Keyword Research
Lesson 8: Crash Course in Content SEO: Using Keywords
- Understanding User Intent – an article I wrote for Spokal.
- Onsite SEO 101 – an article I wrote for SEMRush.
Lesson 9: Blog Promotion Tactics
Check out my complete writing portfolio for additional guidance on blogging, content marketing, SEO, freelancing, and more!